A wonderfully rich and warmly spiced dish of pears poached in ginger wine. Definitely hygge food.
Apart from the pears we sell everything you need, including Rochester’s Ginger Wine (non-alcoholic), lemons and all the spices, even saffron.
- Juice the lemons.
- Peel the pears, leaving the stalks on but gently cutting out just the bottom of the core. Brush the pears all over with the lemon juice. Leave them sitting.
- Heat up the water and ginger wine in a pan big enough for the pears. Dissolve the sugar in the water as it heats. Once it comes to the boil, lower the heat.
- Now add the spices and the saffron and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Put the pears in the liquid and adjust the liquid to cover them.
- Poach them with the lid on for 30 mins, turning them once or twice.
- Remove pears with a slotted spoon and put them, all beautiful and golden, in bowls, sitting upright.
- Reduce the syrup for a minute or two and pour over.
Ingredients for 4 people
- 4 large, firm pears or 8 smaller ones (I like rocha pears for their butteryness but try with any)
- A generous half pint of Ginger Wine
- Water – about 250ml
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 75ml – 100ml of sugar
- A couple of hearty pinches of saffron
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cardamon pods
- 1 star anise
Serve with vanilla ice cream or cream – or both!
Recipe tried, tasted and approved by Holly, one of our customers