This recipe is one of Nigella Lawson’s favourites. It is very quick and easy to make. The mushrooms also make a great salad, in which case increase the amount of mushrooms to 375g – leaving out the pasta but keeping the other ingredients the same.
If all you can find are button mushrooms, this is still worth making.
Ingredients for 4-6 people
- 225g of chestnut mushrooms
- 80ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x 15ml tablespoon of Maldon salt or 1.5 teaspoons table salt
- 1 small clove of garlic, crushed
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme, stripped to give 1 teaspoon of leaves
- 500g linguine
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of freshly grated Parmesan or so to taste
- Fresh ground pepper
- Slice the mushrooms finely and put in a large bowl with the oil, salt, crushed garlic, lemon juice and zest and the thyme leaves.
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions and drain loosely, retaining some water. Quickly put the drained pasta into the bowl with mushroom mixture.
- Toss everything together well, then add the chopped parsley, grated cheese and pepper to taste, before tossing again and “eat with joy in your heart”
We sell La Molisana Italian wheat linguine and all the other ingredients, except fresh mushrooms. We sell several different olive oils and salts, including Maldon, fresh leaf parsley, garlic and lemons. In the summer months we have growing herb plants, including thyme. We always have Parmesan Reggiano and Grana Padano in our shop; or you could use a local hard cheese with a strong flavour, such as Berwick Edge (from Doddington Dairy, Northumberland) which we also stock.
Recipe tried, tasted and approved by Jim at Alston Wholefoods