Perfect for fireside fare, this ginger cake recipe is an old favourite from GreenCity Wholefoods, a workers’ co-operative who bring us welcome supplies of delicious food from Glasgow every second Monday. You can buy all the ingredients you’ll need at Alston Wholefoods.
- 200g pitted dates
- 200g butter
- 300g dark muscovado sugar
- 50g grated ginger
- 100g almonds
- 100g self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- half teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- Preheat your over to 160°C, 140°C fan-assisted over, gas mark 3.
- Butter and line your cake tin with parchment paper.
- Put dates in a bowl along with some boiling water to soften.
- Melt butter in a pan, stir in sugar and then leave to cool.
- Beat the eggs and ginger into the sugar/butter mixture.
- Fold in the flour and ground almonds
- Pour mixture into the tin and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes.
If you are in the mood for warming ginger, we sell it in many forms:
Fresh Root Ginger
Fresh Minced Ginger
Dried Root Ginger
Stem Ginger in Syrup
Chocolate Coated Ginger
Opie’s Ginger Spread
Opie’s Ginger Syrup
Sliced Sushi Ginger
Fentiman’s Ginger Beer
Rocks Ginger Cordial
Pukka Three Gingers
Dr Stuart’s Apple and Ginger Tea
Ginger biscuits and cakes
Island Bakery Chocolate Gingers
Borders Old Fashioned Ginger Crunch
Borders Dark Chocolate Gingers
Ginger Biscuits (sugar free)
Stem Ginger and Spice Biscuits (gluten free)
Stem Ginger Cookies (gluten free)
Seville Orange Ginger Marmalade
Rhubarb and Ginger Jam
Booja Booja Stem Ginger Chocolate Truffles
Recipe tried, tasted and approved by Rosemary at Alston Wholefoods