This is a Delia Smith recipe. It tastes delicious and is very easy to make. Serves 4-6 people. You will need a buttered pie dish approximately 1 ½ pint capacity. Pre-heat oven to gas mark 4, 350°F (180°C).
Baked Apple and Almond Pudding
- 1 lb cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 oz soft brown sugar
- 4 oz ground almonds
- 4 oz butter at room temperature
- 4 oz castor sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Place the apples in a saucepan with the brown sugar and approximately 1 tablespoon water, simmer gently until soft
- Arrange them in the bottom of the prepared pie dish
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and castor sugar until pale and fluffy and then beat in the eggs a little at a time.
- When all the egg is in, carefully and lightly fold in the ground almonds.
- Spread this mixture over the apples, evening out the surface with the back of a tablespoon
- Bake on a highish shelf in the oven for exactly 1 hour.
This pudding is equally good served warm or cold – either way it’s nice with some chilled pouring cream. It will keep in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 days.
Recipe tried, tasted and approved by Jim at Alston Wholefoods